Roulette is a casino game where the aim is to place predictive wagers on the spin of the Roulette wheel. It is important to adjust your risk strategy to an appropriate level when playing Roulette. There is no point betting your whole bankroll on a single number on your first go, you will most certainly go bust and be leaving the casino before you have even started. You should use an appropriate amount of your casino bankroll for a single spin, the Roulette wheel isn’t going anywhere you have all night so be patient and take it slow.
Nearly everyone has heard of the casino game Roulette it is immensely popular in online and live casinos. Roulette offers a wide range of bets and strategy that can be utilized in an attempt to defeat the house and win loads of cash in the process. Roulette rules can be as easy as betting on red or black or odd/even but the more seasoned Roulette players may prefer to adopt a more advanced Roulette betting strategy by betting on a variety of numbers or even ranges of numbers. This will increase your chances of winning but obviously the wider your bets are spread the less odds you will receive from the casino for a win. If you are interested in playing Roulette I would advise starting with a basic strategy such as betting on red or black. Once you have familiarized yourself with the Roulette casino game rules and table layout I would suggest widening your Roulette betting strategy and consider betting on ranges of numbers instead of just red or black which could get monotonous. I will now explain the game rules and history of Roulette, one of the most played casino games ever in online and live casinos.
History of Roulette
Roulette Is a French word that translates to ‘little wheel’. The story of this little wheel goes back hundreds of years and involves a legendary mathematician/inventor, Royalty and even a dash of conspiracy with alleged pacts with the devil being made!
Incredibly it was French inventor/mathematician Blaise Pascals search for a perpetual motion machine in the 17th century that first brought about the wheel and with a sprinkle of inspiration from English and Italian wheel games Roulette was invented.
Roulette was clearly popular with the royals and elite back in the day as there is documentation of it being played in the Palais Royal in Paris as far back as 1796! The table was described as having two betting spaces creating the house edge, zero and double zero.
In 1843 two French pioneers in the gambling industry Fransoir Blanc and Louis Blanc introduced a form of Roulette with only one Zero hence reducing the House edge and increasing the punters chance of winning. This proved to be very popular and roulette spread through Europe like wildfire! When Gambling was outlawed throughout Europe the Blanc family where forced to Monte Carlo where they built a casino for the Rich and elite casino game fans of Europe. Here, the single zero roulette game became enormously popular and was crowned, ‘The king of casino games’.
There is a lot of mystery surrounding Mr Fransoir Blanc, he was accused of having made a pact with the devil in exchange for the secrets of roulette! Is it a mere coincidence that when you add up the numbers on the wheel (1-36) they amount to 666(mark of the beast)?
Whilst the single zero form of Roulette had become undoubtedly the number one form of the game in Europe. The double Zero format was flourishing in gambling dens all over America. There was wide spread cheating on both sides of the fence which caused the game to be simplified and the Roulette table raised and put in better view so sneaky devices could not be attached.
This caused the American version to take a different route from the Original French Roulette game. The outcome was a more novice friendly game with straightforward betting and faster action. This is now the preferred layout which you will find on most casino Roulette tables throughout the world. Although all casinos apart from ones in South America and the USA still adapts the single Zero format.
Roulette rules, Betway Casino guide to Roulette Rules
The Roulette wheel is a mixture of odd and even numbers ranging from 0-36. The individual numbers on the Roulette wheel each have a color assigned to them, red or black. The simplest betting strategies available for Roulette players are Red/Black or Odd/Even. These bets are self-explanatory and I would advise Roulette beginners to play it safe and stick to these safe bets when starting out. You can’t really go wrong betting on Red/Black or Odd/Even as the house odds are minimal and close to 50/50. This means as long as you are betting appropriate amounts your money should go a long way and the potential is there to leave the casino a big winner if it’s your lucky night.
Once you have familiarized yourself with the Roulette wheel it could be the time to move on to more advanced betting strategy’s. When it comes to more advanced betting strategy in Roulette there are two different types of bets which themselves are configurable to your preferences. These are called ‘Inside bets’ and ‘Outside bets’.
Inside betting in Roulette is when you place your bets on the inside section of the betting grid containing the individual numbers. There are different types of inside bets available to the player.
- Roulette Straight up bets – This is one of the more basic Roulette betting techniques, betting on an individual number to come in. I would suggest to not wager to much of your casino bankroll on a single straight up bet as the odds are large and not in your favor. There are 37 choices to bet on. 36 individual numbers and then the 0 square. If your straight up bet comes in you will receive a 35to1 payout.
- Roulette split bets – This is splitting a single bet between two different numbers. The numbers have to be adjacent to each other. You place the chip on the border of the two numbers. The payout for a Roulette split bet is 17to1 if either number is spun.
- Roulette street bets – This is similar to the split bet but betting on 3 numbers instead of 2. The numbers have to be in the same row and you place the bet on the outside edge of the Roulette grid. 11to1 odds.
- Roulette square bets – This is betting on the numbers 1,2,3 or 0 coming in. You place the bet on the Roulette grid line between 0 and 3. Payout is 8 to 1.
- Roulette Corner bets – This is a Roulette bet allowing you to wager on 4 numbers that must be connected to each other. The four numbered combination must form a square formation. The payout for this Roulette bet is 8 to 1.
Outside betting in Roulette is when you place bets on the outer Roulette betting grid. It is not possible to split your wager between different outside bets. This means it is not possible to split the minimum table bet between different outside bets. Roulette outside bets are mostly bets on ranges of numbers or odd/even, red/black. It can be a good idea for novice Roulette players to stick to simple outside bets until they gained more experience and have decided on a solid Roulette strategy.
- High or Low, Roulette bets – This is a simple Roulette betting strategy, betting on the high or low range of numbers. The high range includes numbers 1-18 and low range is 19-36. It is a 50/50 bet and payout is evens.
- Red or Black, Roulette bets – This is self-explanatory, bet on the red or black roulette squares. A good bet for Roulette beginners and the house edge is very small. Payouts are 2 to 1.
- Odd/even, Roulette bets – This is betting on either odd or numbers being spun. A simple Roulette bet suitable for novice roulette players. A small house edge means your money should go a long way.
- Columns, Roulette bets – On the Roulette betting grid there is 3 betting squares labeled ‘2 to 1’. The twelve numbers in the row above the 2to1 squares are the range of numbers you will be betting on. The payout is obviously 2 to 1!
- Dozens, Roulette bets – This type of Roulette bet is similar to column betting and is betting on a range of numbers. There are three betting squares on the Roulette betting grid labeled, ‘First twelve, Second twelve and Third twelve’. You will be betting on the twelve numbers directly above the betting square and the payout is 2 to 1.
These are the betting rules for the casino game Roulette. I hope I have helped your understanding of the Roulette table and the Roulette rules. The best way to learn how to play Roulette is by putting in some table time.
When you are playing Roulette or any casino game i would suggest to approach the casino game with some kind of strategy. It is important to have a Roulette strategy as it can lower the house edge which means you will beat the casino a higher percentage of the time. There are many Roulette strategy guides and systems available out there but many of them are in-fact useless scams. The casino has a house edge so it is near impossible to be a long term winning player unless you are incredibly lucky. Don’t let this put you off playing Roulette or casino games as there is still potential to go on long winning streaks, gaining lots of money in the process.
In Roulette it is possible to reduce the house edge to near zero through clever bankroll management and also having a solid Roulette strategy in place. I will now explain some of the best Roulette strategy I have come across in my many years playing roulette in an online casino.
MartinGale System – Roulette Strategy
The MartinGale Roulette strategy is a popular Roulette strategy system that is actually very simple to implement. Although It is a popular respected Roulette strategy it does not guarantee you will always win. There are no roulette systems out there that guarantee success but the MartinGale system offers a simple betting system and will most likely improve your chances.
The MartinGale Roulette strategy requires you to choose one of the simple betting options, such as red/black or odd/even. You then start with a small bet. If you lose, you simply double your bet. For example, if your first bet is $10 on red/black and you lose, you double your next bet to $20. In the event of another loss, you now raise the stakes to $30. If you win this spin you should start again with your original $10 wager.
The MartinGale system is not exclusive to Roulette and you can use it for any Casino game with 2 betting options similar to red/black or odd/even. It is a very popular Casino game strategy and one that many gamblers use to beat the casino. Many casinos do not like players using the Martingale system as if used correctly will lower the house edge. When using this strategy, you should consider the fact that things can go wrong. Although unlikely It is possible for Red or black to occur 10+ times in a row which will obviously mean big losses. For this reason, you should always bet appropriate amounts that you can afford to lose. Casino games can be great fun and using the MartinGale system can increase your chances of winning.
Labouchere System – Roulette Strategy
The Labouchere Roulette system is a close relation to the MartinGale Roulette betting strategy. I hope you realize that there is no Roulette strategy or system out there that can grant you guaranteed success at casino Roulette. The fact is the casino has a house edge but this can be overcome in the short-term with luck and good solid Roulette strategy. When playing Roulette, it is important to have a game plan so let’s look at the Labouchere roulette system, also known as the ‘Roulette cancellation system’ or ‘Reverse MartinGale’.
When using the Labouchere Roulette system you actually decide how much you want to win BEFORE you have placed your bets and the wheel has been spun. It is important to show self-control and stick to your pre-determined limits! This will increase your chances of leaving the casino a winner. The Labouchere roulette system also only works with even money bets such as odd/even, red/black so let’s have a look.
Let’s assume you have decided to win $20 using the Labouchere roulette system. First step is to design a group of single digit numbers that add up to the amount you are aspiring to win. 2-3-4-5-6 adds up to 20 and would therefore work. Labouchere now recommends that you figure out your first bet by adding the first and last numbers of the sequence together. So if using 2-3-4-5-6 your first Roulette bet would be 6+2=$8. Now if you defeat the casino with your first bet you take away the winning numbers from the sequence and rinse repeat. In the event of a win the sequence would become 3-4-5. If defeated, you have to add the losing bet amount to the number sequence which would now become 2-3-4-5-6-8. You then keep going until all the numbers have disappeared and you have defeated the casino game for your desired amount.
The Labouchere Roulette system is a great casino game strategy and will improve your Roulette game immensely if used correctly. It is important to remember though, there is no way to guarantee leaving the casino a winner. Like with all casino games it is very possible to win but you will need lady luck to be on your side and also good Roulette strategy and skill. I would recommend giving Labouchere Roulette system a try but sticking to your pre-determined casino bankroll limits is crucial.
D’Alembert system – Roulette strategy
The D’Alembert Roulette system is perhaps not as well-known as the MartinGale/Labouchere Roulette systems. Out of all the Roulette strategy systems, D’Alembert is perhaps the simplest and basic to implement. Like the other Roulette strategy systems, it only allows for betting on red/black or odd/even. D’Alembert system dictates reducing your bet size after a win and increasing your bet after a loss. The important thing to remember regarding this Roulette strategy is to GRADUALLY increase/decrease your bet size one chip at a time. For example, if you bet $5 and lose, increase the wager to $6 for the next spin. If you win reduce your $5 bet to $4. This is a clever Roulette strategy but needs a lot of patience and self-control to fully implement. It will not guarantee that you defeat the casino game but will higher your chances dramatically compared to using no Roulette strategy at all. I would recommend perfecting this strategy at an online casino first before playing at a live casino.
Reverse Fibonacci system – Roulette strategy
The reverse Fibonacci Roulette system is a Roulette strategy popular amongst experienced gamblers. The Fibonacci sequence is an influential number sequence that is also found in nature, for example the branching of trees and the arrangement of a pinecone! The Fibonacci sequence is also used in the stock market with traders using It to estimate exit and entry points. All very nice but how does the Fibonacci relate to Roulette strategy? You can use the Fibonacci number sequence to decide your Roulette betting strategy and it is a favorite system for many casino gamblers and in fact can be used for many casino games.
The Fibonacci sequence is a number sequence where the number in the sequence adds up to the total of the previous two numbers. For example, 4,4,8,12,20,32 etc. So how can we use this amazing number sequence to improve our Roulette strategy? You simply start with a small bet, let’s say $2. If you lose, once more bet another $2. If you lose again you now make the bet $4 which is the sum of your previous two bets. If you win you go back two steps in the sequence. Fibonacci can be used for many casino games not just Roulette.
I would recommend using the Fibonacci Roulette system if you are a more reserved casino game player. The bets will stay lower when compared to the MartinGale casino system which can give a more relaxed casino game experience. It is also important to remember that the Fibonacci Roulette system is a clever system to implement but it does not guarantee success. There is no quick fix secret Roulette strategy that can guarantee you will beat the casino. Roulette systems are still useful as if used correctly they can lower the house edge compared to if you are playing Roulette with no clear strategy, structure or rules. I would always recommend having a clear strategy when playing a casino game as it will increase your chances of leaving the casino a winning player.
Roulette/Casino game advice
- Only play at safe and trusted online casino. There are many trusted Online casinos out there that you can trust your casino bankroll with. Only play at established well regulated casinos and your money will be 100% safe! Don’t deposit onto small unknown online casino’s as you are taking an unnecessary risk.
- Make sure the online casino that you choose to play on has great casino bonus schemes. An online casino bonus is a great way to enlarge your bankroll and is basically free money! Here at dewhills we can recommend which online casino has the best bonuses that you can take advantage of. Be sure to check out the online casino review page to choose a secure and safe online casino that also offers great bonuses to get you started.
- Before you start playing online Roulette check out the Roulette systems and strategy page to brush up on your Roulette strategy. If you are a Roulette novice, I would recommend to devise some kind of game plan as most likely this will increase your chances of having a winning session. Having a Roulette strategy that includes stop losses is a great help when playing casino games as you can maximise your casino winnings and minimize your losses.
- DO NOT CHASE LOSSES, this is perhaps the most important casino game rule. Set your self-limits before entering the casino or before starting an online casino session. Have an amount that you are happy to win or lose and stick by it. Casino games are great fun and a great way to relax but no one likes losing more than they can afford so allocate yourself a stop loss or an amount you are happy to win and leave the casino when its hit.
- Only play casino Roulette where you are relaxed and comfortable and in a good frame of mind. I have lost a lot of money when playing casino games when tired or in a bad mood. If not in a relaxed mood take a walk, then come back to the tables. The casino games aren’t going anywhere so take a little break and log back into the online casino once relaxed and ready.